Grandparent Custody Rights

Atlanta Child Support Lawyer
January 20, 2018

Grandparent Custody Rights

Happy family sitting on grass in yard with multi-ethnic child and dog




Family law (also called matrimonial law or the law of domestic relations) is an area of the law that deals with family matters and domestic relations. Legal matters involving family members can be traumatic for everyone, especially if there are children involved. If a parent passes away, Georgia courts generally transfer custody to the surviving parent. However, if grandparents don't feel that the surviving parent is fit, they can petition the court to gain custody in the best interests of the child. They may also petition for custody because the surviving parent is incapacitated or incarcerated. Grandparents who did not previously file for visitation rights can do so if the death of a custodial parents affects their ability to see their grandchild or grandchildren. It is not easy to contest the custody rights of a surviving parent, so if you are a grandparent seeking custody or visitation, it is important to have an experienced family lawyer to argue your case. While some family law matters in Georgia may be handled without counsel, processes such as divorce and child custody often require the skill and expertise of a skilled attorney. Issues may arise in family law where there is a question as to the laws of the jurisdiction that apply to the marriage or family relationship or to custody and divorce, and whether a divorce or child custody order is recognized under the laws of another jurisdiction.

Georgia family law is complex, and when you find yourself in a legal dispute with a family member, you should have an experienced family law attorney by your side to help protect your rights and navigate the legal system. Justin H. Hayes P.C. has both the experience and compassion you need to help negotiate a resolution before even getting to a courtroom, and the tenacity necessary to fight your case in court if it goes that far. Our Metro Atlanta law firm will gather evidence, talk to witnesses, and help you fill out the paperwork necessary to file with the courts and get your case heard. Even if you have a good relationship with the family member with whom you have a legal dispute, let Justin H Hayes, P.C. ensure that the final resolution of your case is in the best interests of yourself and your family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.