Child Custody & Support Modifications

Atlanta Child Support Lawyer
January 20, 2018



Child Custody & Support Modifications

Family law (also called matrimonial law or the law of domestic relations) is an area of the law that deals with family matters and domestic relations. Family law most often refers to rules, regulations, and court procedures involving the family unit. There are steps you should take whether you are receiving or paying child support to help make modification go more smoothly. Act as soon as possible once circumstances change, especially if you are currently paying support. Judges rarely grant retroactive reductions in child support, so the longer you wait the more likely that you will end up in arrears and face further legal issues. Both parties in a child support modification situation should carefully document all of their circumstances. If you are seeking child support that wasn't part of your original divorce decree, you will have to show the judge the changes in your child's circumstances that necessitate the change. Similarly, if you are the custodial parent and your child's needs change due to illness or other factors, a judge must have proper documentation of these circumstances in order to come to a just conclusion. If you are paying support and are seeking a modification, be prepared to give your lawyer paperwork such as proof that you are currently unemployed but seeking work.

Issues may arise in family law where there is a question as to the laws of the jurisdiction that apply to the marriage relationship or to custody and divorce, and whether a divorce or child custody order is recognized under the laws of another jurisdiction.

Justin H. Hayes P.C. has both the experience and compassion you need to help negotiate a resolution before even getting to a courtroom, and the tenacity necessary to fight your case in court if it goes that far. Our Metro Atlanta law firm will gather evidence, talk to witnesses, and help you fill out the paperwork necessary to file with the courts and get your case heard. Even if you have a good relationship with the family member with whom you have a legal dispute, let Justin H Hayes, P.C. ensure that the final resolution of your case is in the best interests of yourself and your family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.